Applying For SSDI
Before starting an application for Social Security Disability Insurance, it is important to first evaluate whether or not your condition qualifies you for these benefits. Since the process can be long and cumbersome, you should be sure of your eligibility before embarking on a tough administrative journey only to later find that you were likely to be denied all along. Contact a lawyer in Santa Rosa, California, about applying for SSDI today.
Step-By-Step Application Process
- Consulting with an experienced SSDI attorney before beginning your application is the most important first step you can take in the application process. Not only will an attorney provide you with a free initial consultation regarding your chances for a successful application, but there are dozens of other benefits to hiring an attorney as well. The best part about hiring an SSDI lawyer for you case is that you can be confident that you will not have to pay attorneys fees unless your case is successful, and even then these fees are calculated in ratio to your benefits, and capped at a maximum of $6,000.
- After determining your eligibility and consulting with an attorney, you should start collecting the information and evidence you need to begin your application. If you are working with an attorney, he or she will help you secure this information and ask you questions to ensure your application is thorough and includes all the information you will need for a successful start. This often includes work history, medical documentation, proof of eligibility, family, citizenship, taxes, bank accounts and more.
- Filling out the application and the adult disability report correctly is crucial. There are specific deadlines to follow and details that must be included. If you chose to do this on your own but are not confident or still have questions, you can consult with an attorney at any stage of the process.
- Depending on how you choose to submit your application, you will need to submit your materials by post, online or in person. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and discussing this part of the process with your attorney is important.
- Check on the status of your application. This often gives peace of mind when one is continuing to wait for long periods of time for the process to continue. If you are concerned about the progress of your application, speaking with an attorney can often be useful as he or she can provide further insights into the process.
Support Is Crucial
Most importantly, always keep copies of your application materials and supporting documents as you never know when you may need them to support your claim in the future. Call our office at 866-965-2831 to learn more about applying for SSDI benefits.